Dress For Less

I love thrift shops, so much so, that they have become my main place for buying clothes. I became an official “Thrift Shop Shopper” shortly after my son was born; I just could not understand or justify spending $20-$30 on a baby's outfit only to have it destroyed by getting pooped or puked on. I wasn't keen on spending huge prices on a new wardrobe for myself either as I was no longer able to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes.

After years of thrift shopping, my favorite has to be the Goodwill Stores in America. The ones around Boston are as big as department stores, clean, very well organized, and their clothing items are sorted by size and color. The surprise for most first timers is the remarkable quality of the clothes, many items being brand names and some even with the original sales tag still on them.

I make my yearly pilgrimage to the Goodwill Store on Providence Highway in Norwood, Massachusetts, with a list of my clothing NEEDS for the coming year and a budget of approximately $200. I give myself a few hours to browse the racks, select items that match my list of requirements, and then try on each item. Fear not, there is a Dunkin Donuts next door should you require a jolt of coffee to get you through this adventure!

The fitting rooms are large enough to accommodate my mountain of clothes on wheels and provide me with the comfort and privacy to try on each outfit. My only rule in the dressing room is IF I DON'T LOVE HOW IT LOOKS AND FEELS ON ME, I DO NOT BUY IT! This rule easily reduces my mountain of clothes to a more reasonable amount. In spite of my shopping binge, the most I have ever spent on one of these trips is $240 which included winter coats.

If you're still trying to understand the method to my madness, I can mix and match each of these pieces to create an entire outfit for ANY occasion for less than $20!!! How's that for frugal?!
 

The Frugal Mum Copyright © 2012 Designed by Ipietoon